Code of Ethics
The Gordon Setter Club of Scotland General Code of Ethics
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
1. Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2. Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing such an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural confirmation of the animal, may report such an operation to the Kennel Club.
3. Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standards should be placed in suitable homes.
4. Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5. Will not create demand, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6. Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7. Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8. Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9. Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10. Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11. Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in their new home.
12. Will ensure that all Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree in writing to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity if not immediately available.
13. Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale of auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14. Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of the dog.
15. Members should only breed from Gordon Setters of sound temperament and structure, and should strive to produce Gordon Setters conforming to the standard as published by the Kennel Club.
16. Members should register all stock which they breed at the Kennel Club.
17. Members should take advantage of the official KC/BVA Hip Displasia Scheme and have all potential stud dogs and brood bitches hip scored. Should these scores be high, breeding should be discouraged.
18. Members should conduct themselves in such a way as not to to bring discredit to the Breed or the Club.